Jacksonville Area Legal Aid, Inc.
What Jacksonville Area Legal Aid does:
Types of issues or cases handled:
- Community development.
- Family law.
- Elder law.
- Employment and unemployment.
- Fair housing.
- Housing & eviction.
- Public benefits.
- Mental health.
JALA also provides a variety of legal services for those persons living with HIV or AIDS.
- St. Johns
Income & other eligibility:
JALA will consider representation of clients who are at or below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines.
However many of JALA's programs are not income sensitive including:
- Fair housing
- Ryan White (HIV/AIDS)
- Title III - helping senior citizens who are age 60 and older.
How to get help:
Apply online by:
- Clicking on Submit Request for Assistance and completing the form.
- Scrolling down the page for the Family Law Legal Assistance at Reduced Expense (FLARE) program's online application.
By telephone at:
- 1-904-356-8371 or toll free 1-866-356-8371 (Alachua, Baker, Bradford, Columbia, Dixie, Duval, Gilchrist, Hamilton, Lafayette, Levy, Madison, Nassau, Suwannee, Taylor & Union).
- 1-904-284-8410 Ext. 3006 or toll free 1-866-284-8410 Ext. 3006 (Clay).
- 1-904-827-9921 or toll free 1-877-827-9921 (St. Johns).
- 1-904-356-8371 Ext. 334 (Refugee Immigration Project).
- Refugee Immigration Project, JALA, 126 W. Adams St., 2nd floor, Jacksonville, FL 32202, from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Walk-In Application Intake, from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday at the Jacksonsville and St. John's offices.
- Walk-In Application Intake, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday at the Clay County office.
To contact the JALA Deaf/Hard of Hearing Unit:
- Call: (904) 353-1320 V/TTY
- Video Phone: (904) 245-1041
- Email: email@example.com
Attend one of JALA's legal clinics or Ask-a-Lawyer events.
Downtown Jacksonville Office (serving Alachua, Baker, Bradford, Columbia, Dixie, Duval, Gilchrist, Hamilton, Lafayette, Levy, Madison, Nassau, Suwannee, Taylor, & Union).
126 W. Adams St.
Jacksonville, FL 32202
St. Johns County Legal Aid (a branch office of JALA serving St. Johns).
222 San Marco Avenue
St. Augustine, FL 32084
Toll Free: 1-877-827-9921
Clay County Legal Aid (a branch office of JALA serving Clay).
Clay County Courthouse
825 N. Orange Avenue, Rm 308
Green Cove Springs, FL 32043
Toll Free: 1-866-284-8410
Updated: January 15, 2019.